If the sudden burst of Winter weather has you cooped up indoors, this Eggplant, Sausage and Flax Frittata would make for a lovely brunch. Both light and hearty, this dish is loaded with Sausage, Eggplant, Onion, Spinach, Pepper, Flaxseed and Parmesan Cheese!
BENEFITS OF EGGPLANT:
- High in Antioxidants, especially chlorogenic acid, which helps fight free radicals, is shown to help lower bad cholesterol, and can help protect against cancer.
- Excellent source of dietary fiber, which can help protect against colon cancer and keeps the digestive system in order.
- Good source of vitamins A, B, and C.
- Rich in minerals such as potassium, magnesium, calcium and phosphorous.
BENEFITS OF SAUSAGE:
- High in dietary protein which helps maintain muscle mass, provide energy and allow for the production of healthy hormones
- Low in carbohydrates, good for those following the Paleo lifestyle.
- Good source of potassium, helps regulate blood pressure and digestive system.
BENEFITS OF FLAXSEED:
- Helps lower risk of heart disease, contains Omega-3, which helps reduce bad cholesterols and blood pressure.
- Good source of Lignans, an antioxidant which helps protect against breast, ovarian, uterine and prostrate cancers.
- Contains insoluble and soluble fiber, the latter being able to slow the rise of blood-sugar levels after a meal (good for those with pre-diabetes or diabetes).
- As a good source of fiber, it also helps regulate bowel movements and to prevent constipation.