is Advocare healthy?

Any time a company doesn’t clearly disclose all of the ingredients in a product I can’t help but find out what they are hiding.

images-2

www.advocarenergy.com

As I heard more and more folks talking about this company, I got the same feeling from it that I had when a friend tried to get me on Herbalife about 10 years ago…thank goodness I knew better!

While I realize that people may be experiencing some benefits due to weight loss, energy, etc. you have to consider at what cost that is coming at.  And yes, it does give you the warm fuzzies to see that it is endorsed by Drew Brees, Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy and Jason Witten…four of the quintessential “good guys” in pro football, I think they’re even Christians so obviously, you can trust them, right?

But we all know that’s no reason to use something.  So, I started researching one of their most popular products: Spark.

“Spark” is advertised as a low-cal energy drink that is sugar free and doesnt give you jitters.

Just the words “sugar free” and “low-calorie” raised a red flag in my mind.  So, I started digging.

The products list on the advocare website lists the “key” ingredients, but it is by no means a full list, which made me think they had something to hide.

It turns out they have a lot to hide.  That is, if they want to continue advertising this garbage as healthy!

I finally did find it.  In a small tab under the “key ingredients” is “all ingredients”.  You click the tiny button to the left and it will reveal the actual, comprehensive list, revealing the top offenders: “natural and artificial flavors, sucralose.”

Here is the Link

Wah..wah…there they are are: the nasty little ingredients that they don’t really want you to know are in there.  The ones you have to dig to find.

IMG_7954

Just because something is a “natural” flavor doesn’t mean that it is good for you, and artificial flavors cause a host of issues and illnesses:  including headaches, ADD, hyperactivity, tumors, neurological disorders….I could go on.

Sucralose is just the generic name for Splenda, a toxic artificial sweetener.  Take sugar (often derived from GMO sugar beets) process it with chlorine, and voila: sucralose.  It was actually originally created as an insecticide, but once chemists discovered that it was so sweet, they abandoned the insecticide idea and marketed this chemical as a healthy sugar alternative. Seriously.  Why? Because the diet & weight loss industry is way more profitable than the pest-control industry.

“But sucralose is FDA approved!  It even says so on the Advocare website!” you might say.  Honestly, that means nothing!  The FDA has approved a host of horrible chemicals (including asparame!!) that are killing us.  They give the thumbs up to lots of other chemicals posing as food that other, healthier countries have long ago banned. Plus, the study that they did before approving sucralose included 23 humans for only 4 days…how irresponsible is that when passing off an insecticide as a food product?

***Since writing this post, Sucralose has been downgraded from “safe” to “caution” because of it’s link to leukemia***

I’ll go further in-depth about the dangers of artificial sweeteners in a future post but for now, here are the most common side effects of this sweet chemical:

it reduces the good bacteria in your intestines (which causes a cascade of other problems) and raises the Ph in your body.  It also…wait for it…is linked to weight gain because of it’s propensity to cause carb cravings, stimulate appetite, and increase fat storage in the body.  It is also linked to a laundry list of other symptoms like migraines, dizziness, kidney stones, seizures, rashes, stomach pain and diarrhea, anxiety and depression.

So, I am not even going to go into the rest of the questionable ingredients, or bother with researching how they derive the vitamins and minerals in their products.  I don’t see anywhere where they are “raw” or “live” or “food-sourced” or “organic” so they may just be synthetic or derived from GMO plants laden with pesticides.  Honestly, I don’t care, because the presence of artificial flavors and sucralose is enough to convince me that these products are not only unhealthy, but not designed with whole body long-term health in mind.

And, in my opinion, any company who would make finding all of the ingredients in their products difficult and who markets harmful chemicals as health products is lacking in either integrity or basic knowledge of long-term health.

IMG_7823

I also looked into the protein powders.  Every one I saw contained artificial flavors and sucralose.  Many are made from soy protein (they don’t list their products “non-GMO” which means that there is a 90% chance that this stuff is made with GMO soy!)  Also, soy, when not fermented mimics estrogen in the body…man boobs and infertility anyone??

The solution?  Eat FOOD, real food.  Not processed, packaged, multi-level-marketed chemicals.  This means organic, local if possible, fruits and vegetables, pastured bird products, grass fed red meats, raw dairy from grass fed cows…When you fuel your body with the things that it was naturally designed to run on, it functions properly for you, and you stay trim.  In the same way that a gasoline vehicle will not function well on diesel, your body will not run well when you put the wrong stuff in it.

The chemicals found in products like Advocare may yield short term benefits like energy and weight loss, but the long-term effects of consuming these things can truly be devestating to one’s health.

If you need an energy boost in the morning try kombucha, lemon water, chia seed, or organic coffee. Also consider why you are lacking in energy.  This is often because of a mineral or vitamin deficiency that can be healed through proper diet or quality supplementation rather than suppressing the symptoms with a powdered chemical drink.

Alright, I’m really not wanting to step on any toes.  I’m just looking out for ya!

live well. be well.

my signature

Related Posts

why I’m not really all that weird

all-natural sports drink (gatorade alternative)

how to shop at a farmer’s market

the pill profit

lower your blood pressure naturally, quickly and cheaply

make your own kombucha: a step by step tutorial

tips for making healthy eating affordable

un-plastic your morning coffee

organic iced latte

raw milk smoothie

banana berry superfood smoothie

References:

The Secret Dangers of Sucralose: Mercola.com

Food Renegade:  The Dangers of Splenda

Center for Science in the Public Interest

Comments

1. says

Thanks! I have friends who support & promote Advocare. Since Day 1, my gut said “no.” It’s been hard to find information on the web, though, saying they’re anything but wonderful… which ALSO made me suspicious. (Conspiracy theory, anyone?!) I was thrilled to read your post and see that you uncovered a full ingredient list. You’re terrific and your energy is appreciated!

2. Ashlee says

I encourage you to put extra research into the business of AdvoCare and who backs their products. Have you heard of a man named Dr. Stanley Dudrick? This man invented Intravenous Nutrition. He is one of AdvoCare’s Medical advisory board members. Personally, if the man who invented a way to keep people alive in hospital beds supports and encourages the product lines offered by AdvoCare, I am happy to use them in my body.

• diane williams says

what about sucralose is healthy? its a chemical it needs to be sweetened with stevia which is only natural sweetener

3. says

Thank you for this article! It puts into words exactly my feelings about this product and makes it easier to share truth with my dear friends. Very well written.

4. Penny Greene says

Thank you for sharing. I try to keep these ingredients out of the food that my family eats. I don’t understand why people would take a “health” supplement that has them. If you are looking for an alternative to get nutrition, get it from the most nutrient plant that is available. http://www.drinklifein.com. I will be glad to help anyone find the information that they want. Prevention is key.

5. says

There is real science and then there is internet science . I don’t see the person who started this post credentials to even speak on the subject. I have met with the doctors who have formulated the products and have asked any and all the questions and feel safe with the products that the top athletes of the NFL, NHL,MLB,NBA not to mention a whole list of Olympic athletes take daily . We build champions

• PatrickPain says

What do you NOT understand about sucralose?! It is a sugar that is derived from pesticides. It does cause the growth of bad bacteria causing major health issues! I am a physical trainer and a dietician! I can’t believe anyone would sell this without research!!!!

• Jess says

Smoking is unhealthy but people continue to use it. I’d rather intake Sucralose than smoking.

• Janna says

I drank spark for over 5 years, was having headaches and anxiety. I quit 5 months ago, & broke down few weeks ago and tried again. My hormones went crazy, I had PMS early symptoms within 3 days of drinking and it was not time. I quit and will not ever drink Spark again. It was hard because I do love the taste and the caffeine.

• Becky says

I do not use Advocare or Splenda. I prefer to stay away from sugar but I found this on Snopes. You may want to read the entire article. Very interesting what people take away from what they read. I’d like to read your information. As a health care professional, I haven’t seen patients with sucralose toxicity. Just those that smoke, drink, eat too much and take too many drugs that have in turn caused disease processes and conditions that lead to their death. Moderation is the key. I’ll continue to research the subject.
        An excerpt from Snopes:
        As is typical in Internet-circulated food health warnings like the example reproduced above (which was largely cribbed from a thirteen-year-old article originally published on the questionable mercola.com web site), all of the information it presents is inaccurate, misleading, and/or outdated. The notion that sucralose has not been subjected to a reasonable and sufficient amount of safety testing is, in particular, woefully inaccurate. Sucralose has, across the span of many years, been subjected to extensive batteries of short-term and long-term studies in both animals and humans (more than a hundred of which were reviewed during the FDA approval process for sucralose), and none of them has demonstrated any significant risk to humans associated with the consumption of sucralose in normal amounts. A human tolerance study published in the journal Food and Chemical Toxicology in 2000, for example, found “no indication that adverse effects on human health would occur from frequent or long-term exposure to sucralose at the maximum anticipated levels of intake”:
        Read more at http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/splenda.asp#g5IupzfJGwUVYAyH.99

• says

The problem is that Snopes isn’t the end-all -it’s a site with it’s own agenda, one I don’t generally agree with. Snopes routinely states that many alternative and holistic treatments that DO work, don’t, for the sake of pushing their own agenda.

• mo says

I can’t believe what I am reading on here. You have to be in charge of your own health and should know what you are putting into your body, if there is even a question why on earth would you risk it? Smoke or intake sucralose? You shouldn’t do either. Oh boy, Ignorance is bliss, and a money making scheme.

• Mason Rudek says

also google athletes who have failed drug tests due to spark. a couple of articles of athletes missing the Olympics due to traces of methamphetamine in their container of spark..

• Mike says

Doctor’s on average live really short lives. I suspect it’s because they follow their own advice. If you are ok with the shorter lifespan then by all means, follow suit

6. Tara says

If you are looking for long term results and health then you should check out Juice Plus+. Our products are nothing but real whole foods with veggies and fruits. Even the protein powder only has WHOLE foods and it is soy protein but it is made with NON GMO soy. If you want more information I HIGHLY encourage you to check out my website. No better way to bridge the gap of what we really eat and what we really should eat. No better way to get your full serving amounts of veggies and fruits everyday. Check this out: http://tbellet.juiceplus.com

7. says

Thank you so much for the information. I too tried Advocare (didn’t want to sell the stuff just had a friend that didn’t like it after he ordered it) so he was giving it all away. The Spark made my heart RACE (no, I don’t have a heart condition). It made me so jittery I felt nauseas. I got a really bad headache. I thought maybe it was just me, so I gave it another try and drank Spark a few days later with the exact reaction. The Slam shot drink (which is for energy) also made my heart race, like I had consumed 10 cups of coffee or something. I am not an Advocare “hater” nor do I like to be confrontational, but taking a bunch of pills seems very odd and unhealthy. Unnatural. I believe eating plenty of veggies, fresh fruits and proteins is the way to go! Oh, and exorcise helps too! God Bless.

8. Ed says

All you have to do is buy a juicer and run about 6 organic carrots and one apple for each drink and your body will love you for it… I start my day off each and every day (I feel great). People who would even consider running all that crap through their bodies (Advocare) need to really think twice before continuing on with such an abnormal way of life.

9. TIna says

I appreciate your honesty. I’ve learned of aspartame a long time ago, even got my parents off of it. People are quick to criticize but will not read the information that is right in their faces. I loved the way you broke it down and I appreciate it because I was about to buy some from my relative who is indeed selling it. I can only share this information with them and pray it doesn’t offend anyone.

10. Stephanie says

Thank you for this. Excellently written! Have you ever researched Plexus slim? Plexus seems to be the next, new, “natural” magic dietary cure. While I am not tempted whatsoever, I have countless friends who are and I would love some nutrition ammunition to help guide them to healthy decisions not quick fixes!

11. Anitra says

Moringa oliefera, most nutirent rich tree on the planet, zija provides it tasting good and farm to mouth fresh.

12. says

Thanks for this info. I was getting ready to go to a 45 minute promo class on AdvoCare this Thursday at my Chiropractor’s clinic. I told him I was looking into a couple of different things and was asking about what kind of ingredients are in this AdvoCare. He told me that he “hasn’t seen anything bad in it.” Needless to say I didn’t walk away with the warm fuzzies. I will most assuredly not be doing AdvoCare now. Thanks!

13. Alexander Eberhardt says

I really enjoyed this entire article. May I ask what you feel about the vemma super juice?

14. Dirk says

This woman (I’m sure she is lovely) has no credentials at all to be speaking on the subject. You might as well ask your hair dresser if your current tooth paste is safe.

• Bob says

the link to the “All Ingredients” is not hidden, it is directly under the Key Ingredients in the same exact size font. that does not look hidden to me. also the link you gave to the cspi states this in the 4th paragraph “Despite its concerns about the risk posed by artificial sweeteners, CSPI says consumers who drink soda are still probably better off drinking diet soda than sugar-sweetened soda, which poses the greater and demonstrable risks of obesity, diabetes, heart disease, gout, tooth decay, and other health problems.” so they are saying that that are still better off using it than real sugar….

15. Jeff says

The best plan is a plan that you can actually implement. I think both sides are correct for different reasons. The average modern day diet is like being stranded on an desolate island surrounded by sharks. If you don’t leave you die slowly, if you just jump in the water with no plan you still die.

The ideal way to escape to (nutritional) freedom is to be airlifted to safety (Whole Foods, Raw, Vegetarian, ect) which a VERY small number of people will ACTUALLY do. Another option is to hop on a little leaky boat (Advocare) and head to the nearest island with better resources so that you can rescue yourself.

This is truly the law of large numbers. How many people out of thousands upon thousands are going to put down their Diet Cokes and Brew their own Kombucha……Or buy a Brevvile Masticating Juicer and go to town on some carrot juice and do it long enough to make a difference. On the other hand you will get quite a few folks that will do the 24 day challenge and are just ECSTATIC posting Before and After pictures all of the place. Folks that’s a start. Those people STILL have a LONG way to go. But its better than being back on that desolate island reading about Kombucha on the internet.

By the way, probably the greatest invention ever (Penicillin…yes it beats the internet….barely) was derived from nasty mold that you wouldn’t touch without gloves let alone ingest. I only say this to highlight that a things origin is not in and of itself an indictment on the thing. That doesn’t go to say that Splenda is FANTASTIC! but the pesticide thing is just a bit sensationalized.

• Evan says

Very well said, Jeff. It’s rare to see even-handed, balanced responses to articles like these. Kudos.

• Kathy says

Thank you! Splenda isn’t fantastic, obviously, but if you REALLY want to be sure you’re eating the healthiest food, then it’s time to go vegan and ONLY eat organic foods. GMO is also a huge controversial topic that has been debated for a very long time. I did a research issues capstone project about it and it is not something to go crazy about without any actual human evidence (not mice). Almost everything is GMO and factories are yet to begin creating GMO-free products (I wish to ban GMO’s, too). I find this article informational, but still a little over-hyped. Advocare is not for lazy people who want nutrients in the easiest way – it is for people who wish to hit the gym everyday (or often) and the products are there to help you achieve your goal, whether it’s building muscles or losing weight.

16. Linda H says

I found this article disappointing as you didn’t try any of the products or added value by comparing it to your essential oil wellness products to Advocare. You saw sucralose as a ingredient and immediately assumed that Spark was not healthy. I find it also hypercritical of you to indicate that not all the ingredients are listed on the package when they clearly are on the product label. Your wellness product labels don’t even indicate the % of the ingredients. Are you hiding something? I also find it very interesting that your peppermint oil failed a independent 3 party lab results for purity and you offer this product. Is that healthy when your co recommends to ingest it? If your intend was to spark a controversy (no pun intended) and attract individuals to your blog you did! I won’t be following any future articles as you didn’t offer any value. Your not helping others by offering a baseless opinion. Before you cast stones at other cos you should look in your own house first. FYI I do use oils and I do take supplements as well as drink protein shakes for post work out recovery. Advocare products are just as good if not better compared to the leading brands out there. It’s a persons choice to select what’s right for them. Advocare isn’t for you and that’s ok. If you want to inform people provide facts not assertions that’s how you provide value.

• loo says

More articles like this need to be written to expose this Advocare BS. I think all these Advocare sales people( because that’s what they are) are so unbelievably clueless and they just spout off claims they have no right to discuss upon – but they still sell this stuff. I am a personal trainer/weight loss specialist and I CAN’T even “legally” advise people on nutrition /supplements. Advocare reps/etc. should NEVER be allowed to be selling this stuff- ever! ONLY a registered Dietitian or Nutritionist should be allowed to give any nutritional advice and diet plans whatsoever.

Just eat right, exercise, even go organic or all natural, go Non-GMO if you can. No one on this earth needs to be ingesting all this felonious crap….it make NO sense. The human GI tract and our bodies nutritional needs are so complex; PER individual. Not one Advocare nutrition plan would even come close to meeting each individuals needs.

My brother and now pregnant sister in-law are distributors and they swear by everything and anything Advocare. They even tried to get me on board. She swears by this Spark crap. What mother would ingest this stuff? Its absurd. If I dare say anything, I fear they would not like what I have to say. I just don’t want to see any future health issues with anyone, especially my family.

• Jess says

First off, it’s not BS. Second, if you are really a personal trainer/weight lost “specialist” you CAN advise others on nutrition. Otherwise your “specialty” means absolutely nothing. Next, if you legally cannot advise us, why are you telling us to go organic or all natural? Isn’t that advice? I don’t mean to rip you apart; you just don’t make sense to me.

AdvoCare is great to kick start your healthy living lifestyle. There isn’t a nutrition plan to follow. The guideline with the 24 day challenge is wide open to whatever food you enjoy. I did the 24 day challenge but never took the pills (bc I don’t believe any pill works ever– only oxy stuff specifically for post surgeries). Spark is amazing to me. I understand Sucralose can be harmful, but smoking is way worse. Give me toxic sugar over toxic crap.

I’m not a distributor for AdvoCare; just a human helping those who are fearful of products based on comments like yours.

• says

Well said Jess :). MR Patrick I think you need to do more research of your own before listening to someone opinion. But if that’s how you feel about this product it’s how you feel. No one can change that. I hear this all the time when you find me some proof someone has cancer due to spark please let me know!

• PatrickPain says

The proof is walking around you now. The ingredients has long term effects and causes more problems than just cancer. Any form of sugar destroys the body.

• PatrickPain says

Why would anyone in their right mind try something they know is toxic? I tried it just to shut the person up trying to get me to take it. It only made me sick.

17. WORM says

Thank you for this article. After reading this article I will no longer be an advisor for this company. I got signed up 4 years ago promising me to make a lot of money. Well I had a lot of health problems which were not related to products but when I did try to take some of the products I had a bad gut reaction. I had spoken to several of the Physicians on Advocare’s research team and their advice to me was I am not sure what could help you but you need to check with your physician. I also have contacted them for other people and I got the same response. I am not knocking their credentials or knowledge for that matter. I am just glad that you are honest and you break it down. I actually reposted your article on FB and got my rear end handed to me by the lead Advocare guy in my home town. Thank you so much for your honesty!!!!

• says

It is what it is. Maybe Advocare products aren’t for you. Should, try another wellness comp and if money is what your after Advocare isn’t for you. No reason to bash any company that’s is successful for over 20+ years.

• PatrickPain says

That’s because they get ignorant gullible people to buy who want a quick fix. Of course those people are going to tell themselves it’s ok to take.

18. Mack says

Peolpe can say anything they want about things they no nothing about and recieve followers, this is amazing. The person who posted this shows ZERO credentials and apparently does not know much about good nutritional supplements. If you were to compare what people eat today and the pesticides and chemicals in our food and water, simple surcalose should not be an issue. Look at all of the ingrediants in each of their products, they are all labeled well with nothing to hide. What other supplement and wellness company has a panel of well known doctors and proffeshional athletes that recieve only product endoursements….nothing financial. These are not miracle products they are to help the body function in a highly toxic enviroment. Proper nutrition and physical fitness in highly nessesary as well. Get your facts straight, and post your views only by the results backed up by facts.

• M says

Thats funny because I used to sell for Advocare the doctors that I spoke to on the panel all said the same thing…consult your family physician. I had some major medical issues and was unable to use ANY products from Advocare. It is not for everyone. I consulted the doctors on other people that had questions and I got the same response, but when I ran it through the main guy that was making lots and lots of money they gave him answers right away. I am hormonal and thyroid issues which prevent me from losing the weight and using any of their supplements.

19. DakotaDerek says

Author…i’m with you completely up until you threw all multi-level marketing products out the door. Please research Genesis Pure. It will be well worth your time.

20. Krys says

People believe anything doctors say. I wish they worked as closely with them as I do. I dont think people would be so trusting of a product just because a doctor supported it. Plenty of doctors backed up and prescribed medications that are now banned for use. In the 1950s, doctors even promoted cigarette use! Do your own research. You’ll be surprised by what you learn.

21. R.A says

My family and I are apart of an amazing company that offers organic foods. I would love to share more about this program with you and be interested in your thoughts.

22. says

Reblogged this on baby momma saiz and commented:
    There is a whirlwind surrounding Arbonne and AdvoCare right now. You need to make informed decisions when you decide to do a cleanse of any kind. Why do a cleanse that contains the materials you’re trying to get rid of?

• Laura H says

It’s because they were being proactive in the current trend of minors abusing caffeine. A lot of energy drink companies are taking a stance in this, and AdvoCare is one of them.

• Laura H says

Additional info on why…..

The ingredients, amount of caffeine, safety and efficacy remain the same. What has changed is the environment in which we live as it relates to the public and regulatory perception of caffeine. This is especially the case with children and teenagers. Because so many AdvoCare Distributors are connected to or involved with youth sports, we must be vigilant in protecting our business model and the way we sell and distribute our products. While we can still make decisions about product use for our own children, AdvoCare does not market or sell products to minors.

23. Ella Haaland says

Advocare is soooooo bad for you it’s full of chemicals and the creator died at age 58 do you really know how bad this is?

• MIles says

Jim Fixx, Montignac both died young and were health nutz.

Paavo Airola
      The European born and based Airola was a nutritionist and naturopathic doctor with a background in biochemistry and natural healing. Airola promoted natural healing through a diet of nutritious, whole foods and holistic medicine. He lectured extensively across the globe and spent time as a visiting lecturer at prestigious universities including Stanford University Medical School. Airola served as president of the International Academy of Biological Medicine, and authored 14 books, two of which became international bestsellers. The American Academy of Public Affairs went as far as to issue Airola the Award of Merit for his book on arthritis. This brilliant man was felled by a stroke at the age of 64.

Ragus died of natural causes – not an overdose of Advocare, Fixx died of heart disease not running and his doctor missed it. Keith Richards starts his day with Little Powered Donuts, cocaine and Jack Daniels. So does this mean we should all follow that diet.

bottom line is that YOU ARE GOING TO DIE. We all are.

And for what it is worth, I know not one individual on here nor do I care about the toes I step on. The author may well know more about Sucralose, nutrition, her product line, and Advocare, than doctors, priests, nurses, high school football coaches, and 300 pound lard asses telling everyone that this or that has changed their life. She may may not know her arse from applesauce. Dont know dont care.

Advocare does sell a whole végétarien MRS. With no sucralose . There is more than just spark and chocolate MRS. The Performance elite line of products has the many of same ingredients as other supplements, down to the amount promoted on health sites. Becuase of its MLM status, it takes a bad rap. Dr Oz himself test fish oil on Oprah. He did a blind test in front of the audience. Advocare fish-oil finished in the top 2 as pure, oil. You may still find the video out there.

I take advocare, I like it. I also supplement with other products as well. Hell I like Little Debbie Snack cakes too. If I eat an impériale shit tonne of those, I will be fat and still die. I will tell you all, I do eat healthy, my doctors have advised me about advocare and drinking 3 SPARKS a day or doing MRS for every meal. I have also conducted a year long test with my doctor overseeing it. To figure out, if advocare helps or harms. The 1 year study was paid for by me! No outside help.

In 1 year, I pulled off 13% BF , and gained 10% muscle. I am now < than 1 stone of my retirement weight. losing 3.5 stone total. (stone is 14 pounds to you unlearned types) All of my testing numbers better than it was when I started. I run rings around all but 1 player on the pitch.

Take Advocare if you wish, dont if you wish. But do your own damn testing. Stop being a sheep, think for your self. Listen and take advice, sure. Do not listen to anyone who compares any two items when the tester has a dog in the fight. Of course it is always going to benefit the tester. After 30 year of doing analysis work, and a degree that supports analysis, I think I am qualified to make such a statement.

24. lisa j says

I have been offered a free sample of ‘Spark’, on a couple of occasions. The smell of it alone, was enough for me to not want to use it.

25. says

Actually, many doctors recommend AdvoCare products and even use them themselves. I guess you know better than docs. You have PhD are something, right?

26. says

My cousin in California just became a distributor, and they even asked her to b a ‘ fitgirl’ .She ofcourse is walking on air. She already was in amazing shape( b4 Advocare) even a month after her 2nd baby) ……. She ofcourse is hitting the gym & now has a personal trainer, and takes these products….. And I have to say in 2 months time…….. She went from looking really good in her bikini( she is 41 !) to being ripped-abs of steel, and she constantly posts pic of her progress and says she is ‘advocare’ built. I questioned her about ingredients and she said they were the healthiest suppliments out there. Her life has changed! Blah blah blah…. Well, I think her hard work /clean eating is paying off big time . Dont really know if it the products- So, me, not being able to afford the system , decided to try it on my own …….. Which Im already in descent shape, no weight problems – and I eat pretty clean , its just tweeking my routines and nutrition. And , its not easy…… With Menopause knocking @ the door, but I’ve had really good progress on my own! Yeah ,I’d probably b abit more ripped in the abs if I could afford a personal trainer, and I definatley would b more motivated if I knew I had to be phto-shoot ready for the ‘ fitgirls ‘. but, I dont put All those ‘suppliments’ /products/chemicals into my body either . So, I feel really good about that. I hope they’re are not going to b any long term effects of anyone health, especially children ( ive seen on the program on u-tube) ………..from doing the Advocare system, but like I said, It can be Very tempting when you see the b4 and after pics …….. And im one of those impulse buyers !! But thanks to this article/ and comments , good & bad , I will b more cautious ! Thx

27. Tawnifer32 says

Why is it approved by the FDA and multiple other scientific research has been done on it to prove it’s fine. Also this is a blog and not a reliable resource of information. And the references are also not reliable resources of information. If you want accurate information do resource from valid websites or speak with a physician or the physicians with advocare.

• Jason says

My pregnant wife and I drink Spark everyday and love the taste! Amazing product! Highly recommended! Try it, you will not be disappointed.

• says

Woah, please reconsider taking in Spark during pregnancy. Not only the artificial ingredients, but the insanely high levels of caffeine could be very dangerous for your precious unborn child!

• Its me says

The caffeine amount is equal to one cup of coffee…nothing more. To say it is insanely his is untrue.

• Jason says

Thank you! :) It’s kinda funny what people focus in on. Coffee, tea and many other drinks have side effects that are nuts. To each his own I suppose. Personally I’ve taken many AdvoCare products every day going on 3 years now. Guess what? Not a single cold, flu or sickness and I feel like I’m in my twenties again. I also recommend the probiotics, omega fish oils, amplify AT, coreplex and any of the performance elite line. Awesome stuff, but that’s my personal opinion. Always do unbiased research. Blogs are great, but not in terms of accurate scientific research. Still a fun discussion however!

• PatrickPain says

The fact still remains that it is a chemical and there ARE plenty of chemical free alternatives!

• Jason says

Btw, update! My wife gave birth to a happy healthy baby girl! 8lbs 11ozs! The midwife said the umbilical cord was amazing, a perfect 10! My wife drank a Spark and took other AdvoCare nutrition as her prenatal, approved by her doctor and midwife. We have a healthy, happy Advo Baby! Don’t believe all the hype, AdvoCare has elite nutrition that rocks. Again, my own opinion.

• says

Lindsays own words:
        DISCLAIMER
        I am not a doctor, dietician, or health care provider. Information found on Live Well Be Well is for educational purposes only. It should not be relied upon to determine dietary changes, a medical diagnosis or courses of treatment.

Any statements on this site regarding food, supplements, medicines, remedies, or any other information found here have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

28. says

Great post! I used to use Advocare products as well and stopped after adopting a paleo/primal lifestyle in mid-2010. I used to drink Spark EVERY MORNING instead of coffee on the way to work, despite the fact that my stomach would be torn up by the time I got to the office. After changing my lifestyle, Advocare’s products simply didn’t fit in anymore. I’m very active in the paleo community and was a volunteer this year at Paleo f(x), the world’s biggest paleo conference. I was introduced to a new supplement/nutrition company called IDLife by the owners of Paleo f(x), Keith and Michelle Norris. IDLife’s products are all natural and organic, non-GMO, soy, gluten and casein free. I got involved in this company because of the strong backing of the paleo community due to the high standards of the products. Keith and Michelle are also instrumental in the development of future products and the continued betterment of existing products, For example, through their influence, soy lechithin was removed as an ingredient in our meal replacement shake. Even though the soy was non-GMO, soy in general is problematic. Thanks to Keith and Michelle as consultants representing the paleo community, they removed it in favor of sunflower lechithin. All of the ingredients are displayed front and center on each product’s page. No hiding. http://www.idlife.com/primaldesign.

Bottom line is that there ARE no quick fixes. There are legitimate products out there to help round out the rough edges of a diet and fill in the gaps. Due to the food quality these days and issues such as soil nutrient depletion even when we do eat properly, we all have some gaps that can be filled. Nothing wrong with getting a little help in that arena. We just have to make sure to do the research to find the best avenues!

29. JBond says

If it is such a good product, why is it not sold in every Target, Walgreens, Walmart, etc???? I would think they would want to make a bigger difference in the health of the population.

30. says

Hello Lindsay and anyone reading this post, my name is Emily. I came across this post as I had never heard of Advocare previously and someone mentioned it as I was sharing what products I use. That is very scary what those products contain…I wish the manufacturers would be more honest in their products. However, I am on an AMAZING product.. GMO free, soy free, gluten free, …even some of the products are dairy free if that is what you’d need. This product I’m using is not on shelves in Walmart, Target, Walgreens, etc. because the founders do not want to tarnish the integrity of the product. When this was first explained to me, I didn’t understand, but now I do. Once something is sold on the shelves, other people try copying it and making their own versions of it and then people buy that product and it’s just a whole mess.
    The four pillars of this company and what they focus on is WEIGHT LOSS, ENERGY & PERFORMANCE, HEALTHY AGING, and WEALTH CREATION.
    I went into this not needing to lose that much weight, but I always felt tired and hardly went through my days without a nap. Being on this product (i’ve only been on it for 2 months), I never need to take naps anymore..I can get through my long work days and I feel better than I ever have. It’s the kind of feeling you just want to share with everyone.

I am not trying to sell you a product, I honestly just want as many people as are willing to feel as good as I do.

Interested? Email me at emilylamb7@gmail.com and I would love to answer any questions you have and speak further.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Have a great weekend! :)

31. emilylamb7 says

Hello Lindsay and anyone reading this post, my name is Emily. I came across this post after i searched ‘what is advocare’ because someone i know mentioned this product after i shared with them what I use. It is very disheartening to see manufacturers hide ingredients to better the ‘reputation’ of the product. It makes me think how lucky I am to be using such a pure, natural, product. It is GMO free, soy free, gluten free, and we even have products to accommodate those who need dairy free products.
    These products help in these areas: WEIGHT LOSS, ENERGY & PERFORMANCE, HEALTHY AGING, and WEALTH CREATION.
    I started this program (NOT advocare) about 2 months ago with hardly any weight to lose at all, but I was so tired all the time (ENERGY & PERFORMANCE), even after sleeping for the recommended 8 hours. I always had to take a nap and it was just unusual how much energy i didn’t have for being fairly young. Long story short, I then met my fiance, who introduced the product to me and how his life has really changed around. All his sisters and their husbands are on it, as well as his mother. (Combined, they have all lost around 200 lbs, being on the product for 6 months).
    Now 2 months into this amazing program, I can tell you with a surety that my whole outlook on life has changed. My energy has skyrocketed, I can get through a whole day at work without the “2:30 feeling” or just sitting at my desk about ready to fall asleep. Nothing like that for 2 months! It is amazing and it makes me so happy and hopeful! This product is not a diet, but a lifestyle.

I won’t take anymore of your time and thank you for reading this. Because of my results and my dear friends’, I want to share this with everyone because I want everyone to be able to enjoy life and not be held back by their weight, fatigue, or sickness.

If you would like to discuss this with me further, email me at emilylamb7@gmail.com. Have a great weekend :)

32. Brian says

People please do real research and don’t believe things posted by someone who sounds like they know what they’re talking about just because they use big words. Especially on the internet, people won’t post reputable sources for their information and often use misleading things to help sway their point of view. This person is obviously an Advocare hater and fails to realize that Advocare is the only nutritional supplement company in the world that gets each ingredient checked by a world class sci-med board and will only sell products with ingredients that have a very long and proven reputation with documented research that they are not only safe, but also healthy.

• says

Agreed, Educated people, doctors, and world class scientist are MUCH more credible than this blog post (laughable) and the government websites. ;) This is the strangest thing I’ve ever read.

• PatrickPain says

Ummmm no! Those people you spoke probably stand to earn a buck off the product or are miss informed themselves. I know plenty of doctors that state otherwise. I guess their research is false right?!

33. KeKe says

I recently almost died from taking Spark. I took the allowable dose listed on the package (3 scoops per day). The doctor who cared for me at the ER said the caffeine PLUS taurine contained in Spark meant that I drank the equivalent of 16 cups of “coffee” per day. I did this for 5 days straight, and I almost died. I literally had a near death experience where my brain began shutting down, I stopped feeling pain, no longer ate or drank, and was so manic I did not sleep for 8 days. It took a huge concoction of anti-psychotics and a $30,000 hospitalization to save me. My husband and two beautiful children are very happy I survived and obviously I am fortunate to spend my life with them. I am 32, and have been drinking spark since my early 20′s. I took a break for a few years during pregnancy & breastfeeding (thank goodness). I would NEVER recommend this product to anyone. I am going through counseling to help process the trauma of it all.

34. Jessie says

Great post! Would you be up for researching and looking into Plexus Slim? I’m not trying to be lazy… I honestly don’t know the offenders!

35. kay says

what a one sided post, full of scare tactics and bullshit. You are a scare monger and really do not know what you are speaking about. Advocare changed my life for the better, I BET I AM IN BETTER HEALTH AND SHAPE THAN YOU ARE or will ever be.

• Dave says

Why don’t you follow you’re own advice. If you didn’t believe it, you didn’t have to say anything. If people want to take anything – it’s their choice. You’ve stated your opinion. We heard it. Now all you’re doing is badgering people. Are you the world’s babysitter? I think not. Leave it alone. You hate advocare. Ok we get it. To each his own.

36. Errick says

This is completely irrelevant, it really only bashes 1 ingredient, Sucralose. Which if you do your own research on the product and filter it through a brain cell you will find it’s really not that bad for you in fact she paraphrase probably about 80% of the history of Sucralose to sell you on her point of view, research it yourself instead of buying into clearly uneducated rants without the full story. No, I am not in Advocare but I support anyone who is doing something different with their lives, because honestly working until I die just doesn’t sound attractive to me. By for the record I do support her in living health as much as possible, because that is important, and if something is not advertised to make you lose weight, don’t expect to lose any, I apperciate her passion for something she believes in but some one with experience is not at the mercy of someone with an argument.

Thanks for reading!

Your new friend,
    Errick

37. Belle says

Thank You so much for this post! I have a co-worker that sells this product and when she first started she gave me a couple packs of Spark and I didn’t want to be rude so I took it. I tried it and had the worst headache ever!!! I will NEVER get any of their products. I started to look around about this product and I’m so glad that I didn’t get suckered into buying any of their stuff.
    My co-worker is into pushing these products and all she can talk about is how she has another person joining the team and that they’re going to start selling the products too and b/c of that she’ll get a percentage of it and goes on and on about how she’s making all this money. Then she’s telling people how to eat right,(which is ok but that’s what you’re supposed to do anyways!) but you HAVE to take all these supplement in order for all this to work because it’s “healthy for you.”
    She has lost a lot of weight herself but I bet it wasn’t over taking supplements. She completly changed her diet and started to eat healthy.

Weight loss programs are the biggest selling programs out there and that’s how they make their money.
    There’s a sucker born every minute” is a phrase most likely spoken by David Hannum, in criticism of both P. T. Barnum, an American showman of the mid 1800s, and his customers. The phrase is often credited to Barnum himself.

38. timsarmywifey says

I appreciate this — had a sweet friend get upset with me for saying that I wasn’t comfy using it because of the Splenda in it and I would rather use something with stevia, no unkown ingredients … I got a nice “study” (done by Advocare) saying they thought Splenda was safer than Stevia. Now I know there are very processed versions of Stevia out there too but still actual natural Stevia (herb) vs chlorinated sugar (which of course renders it not sugar)…. easy choice for me!

39. says

When I originally commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same
    comment. Is there any way you can remove people from
    that service? Thank you!

• says

oh gosh, that’s annoying! I don’t have that ability (it’s built in to the WordPress site.) However, I did have someone post the same comment several times recently so perhaps that is what happened? I hope so!

40. MomT says

I’m sorry, what is with the “Sucrolose is safer than smoking” argument?! I keep reading it over and over. Are your options Sucrolose vs. Smoking or Sucrolose vs. No Sucrolose?! How on earth does smoking have anything to do with this? Did you know crack during pregnancy can be safer than smoking cigarettes? Does that mean everyone should go out and smoke crack?! Come on!

And why is the author being attacked for her credentials? I mean, those touting the health benefits are nothing more than Tupperware ladies. Being trained by the people making money off of you (be it Advocare, Young Living, DoTerra, Amway, whatever) does not mean you’ve been trained with proper information.

41. says

A quick look at the Wikipedia entry speaks to her concerns. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucralose

Anyone ever heard of water intoxication? Anything that is taken in “high doses” is bad for you…even water. It’s relative to the “toxin”, the person taking it and a entire cadre of other circumstances. I’d have to imagine that if you’re drinking your weight in Spark, 5-Hour Energy, Tea with Splenda or what have you all day every day for decades it’s going to be BAD for you.

To summarily negate a product because of a single ingredient that caused a lab rat to have cancer when it was pumped full of it at an abnormal rate and negate an entire company’s status is a bit much as well.

You don’t have to be a doctor to have an opinion and you don’t have to listen only to doctors.

Find what works for you and if something else works for others then so be it. At the end of the day it’s up to you.

42. Jennifer Adams says

If I see an artificial sweetener in the ingredient list I do not use the product. Period. People justify things they know are wrong or bad in order to continue doing what is easy or habitual for them. I would venture to guess that many of the comments defending advocare are either advocare representatives or corporate employees. Several comments have implied if you can’t be perfect i.e. Vegan, raw then you might as well join the crowd and continue poisoning yourself. It does not have to be so drastic. You have to start somewhere and cutting out artificial ingredients is a fantastic place to start!
    Thank you for your research it is greatly appreciated.

43. says

I’m not an Advocare fan, but even less so a fan of people who get on the internet and pretend to know what they are talking about. You say research, research. Maybe YOU should research before spewing untruths and rumors as fact. Where did you get it was meant to be an insecticide? Can you provide that research? Can you provide credible research for ANY thing you quoted. Go to Queen Elizabeth College’s information and I’m sure you can find the truth there. Maybe you should stick to what you know as fact on your blog. Which is ? I think people like you drink the Mercola kool-aid. Is he even a medical doctor? Do you do “gallbladder cleanse” where you take olive oil and lemon juice, drink it and then poo something that looks like gallstones? When in fact it is the chemical reaction in your body of the lemon (acid) and oil?

Researchers at Queen Elizabeth College, University of London, discovered sucralose in 1976, during a collaborative research program with UK sugar producer, Tate & Lyle, PLC.

Sucralose is made by a multi-step process that starts with ordinary table sugar (sucrose) and replaces three hydrogen-oxygen groups on the sugar molecule with three chlorine atoms. This results in a stable sweetener that tastes like sugar, but is calorie-free.

After being discovered, sucralose was put through a conclusive safety testing program over a 20-year period. Today sucralose is permitted for use worldwide.

44. cherry elizabeth white says

hmmm…a friend is trying to talk me into advocare. Ive used Plexus and Skinny Fiber..although I got my money back in both instances…they did not work! Eating right and exercise is the key. Weight Watchers would help more than these pills I think,

Trackbacks